1. Home
  2. Programs & Services
  3. Environmental Health Services
  4. Public Swimming Pools

What We Do

  • Inspect public swimming pools, spas, waterslides, lakes and lagoons for possible health/safety hazards
  • Investigate complaints of health or safety hazards
  • Train pool owners, managers and maintenance staff
  • Review plans and inspect construction of commercial pools, spas, waterslides and lagoons


Application for a Drained Swimming Pool/ Spa Permit

Incident Report – Fecal, Vomit, Blood Contamination, and Near-Drowning or Drowning

Public Pool and Spa Safety Act

Pools Code 2018

Is Your Pool Service Person Certified?

The below organizations provide an excellent opportunity for you or your pool operator to get a comprehensive education on how to maintain a commercial swimming pool to keep it safe and healthy:

National Swimming Pool Foundation (NSPF)

Association of Pool & Spa Professionals (APSP)

National Recreation and Park Association (NRPA)

Preventing Unintended Chemical Injection

Public Swimming Places Documents

Q: I just noticed that a pool that I swim in was closed. Should I be concerned?
A: Public pools are posted closed by Environmental Health as a preventative measure when significant health or safety violations are observed during an inspection. Most closures are because of very low or very high chlorine levels, very cloudy water, or safety items like missing main drain covers. Actual bacterial samples of the pool water are rarely taken.

Q: What kind of pool test kit do I need for my public pool?
A: At the minimum, you need a test kit that can accurately check pH and “free chlorine” in the pool water. To accurately check “free chlorine”, the test kit should use DPD tablets or liquid. “OTO” (yellow liquid) type chlorine test kits are difficult to use to accurately determine free chlorine. The test kit must be able to test for free chlorine from 0.5 to 3 ppm (parts per million). However, it is suggested that test kits with a higher free chlorine range (to 5 or 10 ppm) be used. If pool stabilizer is used, cyanuric acid must also be checked, at least once per month. Cyanuric acid test kits are available but you can also take a water sample into some pool supply companies once per month. Most test kits will also check for combined chlorine, total alkalinity, and calcium hardness, which are useful for properly maintaining a pool.

Q: What kind of records must I maintain for a public pool?
A: You must maintain daily test records for pH and free chlorine. In addition you need to include in your records any maintenance performed and monthly cyanuric acid checks (if pool stabilizer is used).

Q: Do I need to notify the Health Department if I change pool equipment?
A: Generally speaking, if pool equipment is replaced with the same make and model number (like for like), there is no need to notify the Health Department. Otherwise, contact the health department, plan check section, for approval prior to any equipment installation/replacement. New pumps must be able to maintain the same turnover rate. Filters must be properly sized for the system. Chlorinators must be sized properly to ensure adequate disinfection.

Q: Does my public pool have to be maintained by a Certified Pool Operator?
A: Not at this time, but it is highly recommended. Properly maintaining a public pool requires proper training. Basic pool training is best acquired in a Certified Pool Operator class.

Q: What should I do after a fecal accident in a public swimming pool?
A: Please see the Centers for Disease Control guidelines.

Q: Why does my pool/spa need to be chlorinated?
A: Pools should be disinfected continuously by a chemical which imparts a residual effect. Chlorine is a type of “disinfectant”, also called a “sanitizer”. Disinfectants or sanitizers destroy living microorganisms and bacteria, preventing the transmission of disease. There are several types of disinfectants, such as chlorine, bromine, ozone and UV light. Public pools need a disinfectant with a measurable residual.

Q: How much chlorine should I have in my pool and spa?
A: It is important to have the correct concentration of free available chlorine in the water at all times when the pool or spa is available for use. Unlike combined chlorine, free available chlorine is efficient at destroying the majority of harmful microorganisms. A minimum of 1.0 ppm free available chlorine is required if cyanuric acid is not used as a conditioner. Otherwise, a minimum free chlorine residual of 1.5 ppm is required. The maximum concentration of free available chlorine must not exceed 10 ppm while the pool is available for use. Chlorine must be dispensed through a properly-sized automatic chlorinator to ensure consistent levels of chlorine.

Q: Why can I smell chlorine in the pool and patrons complain of burning eyes but my test kit indicates there is no free available chlorine?
A: It is likely that the chlorine has combined with organic matter in the pool and has formed chloramines. Chloramines have a chlorine-like smell and can cause eye and skin irritation. Use a test kit to determine the amount of combined chlorine. The combined chlorine level should not exceed 0.4 ppm. Adding the appropriate amount of addition free available chlorine will help to eliminate chloramines.

Q: What is cyanuric acid?
A: Cyanuric acid is an acid that is marketed as a chlorine “stabilizer” for swimming pools. It is also referred to as a “conditioner.” When exposed to the ultraviolet rays of the sun, the free chlorine in the pool water will break down and escape. Cyanuric acid is intended to reduce this loss of chlorine. Cyanuric acid is often a component of chlorine tablets used in automatic chlorinators. It is also available in powder form. Cyanuric acid residual remains in the water and will increase in concentration as additional amounts of cyanuric acid are added to the water. At high concentrations (>50 ppm), cyanuric acid can substantially decrease the effectiveness of chlorine.

Q: What chemicals do I need to test for regularly?
A: Chlorine (or other approved disinfectant) and pH levels should be checked and recorded on a maintenance log at least once per day. Cyanuric acid levels should be checked and recorded at least once per month. Other chemical tests (such as alkalinity, calcium hardness, and total dissolved solids) should be checked regularly to maintain proper water balance.

Chemical Requirements

When to Check
and Record
Free chlorine without
1.0 ppm1.5 ppm10 ppmDaily
Free chlorine with
1.5 ppm1.5 – 3.0 ppm10 ppmDaily
“Stabilizer” (i.e.,
Cyanuric Acid)
0 ppmUp to 50 ppm100 ppmMonthly
pH7.27.4 – 7.68.0Daily

Q: My pool serviceman comes twice a week and checks the chemical levels. Do I still need to do that?
A: YES! The law requires all public pools and spas to have an on-site operable test kit, and a daily log of chlorine, pH levels, and other maintenance actions. You should have basic knowledge of pool maintenance and water chemistry balance. If the pool chemistry is not correct on any given day, adjustment must be made as soon as possible to keep the water safe for patrons.

Q: When should the pool and/or spa be closed to the public?
A: The pool/spa should be closed anytime an immediate and imminent health risk exists. These could include the following: excessive water cloudiness (the main drain is not visible); no free residual level of disinfectant/sanitizer (e.g., chlorine); the filtration and/or automatic disinfection system is not operable; the covers over the main drain or the equalizer lines are broken or missing or there is a suction hazard; the underwater light fixture has water in it; chemicals are added to the water and sufficient time has not elapsed for proper mixing; or any time you feel there is a health risk to patrons.

Q: Is there a class I could attend to better understand my pool?
A: Yes – there are several companies that offer a class and exam to become a National Swimming Pool Foundation Certified Pool Operator (CPO). Find a class near you.

Pool of Knowledge Newsletters