1. Home
  2. Programs & Services
  3. Vital Statistics Registration Office
  4. Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What if there’s a mistake on the Certificate?

A: After the Certificate has been registered, the original certificate cannot be changed, with the exception of gender error. Errors may be corrected by filling out an Affidavit to Amend a Record (VS24).

Q: What if I want to add the father to the Birth Certificate?

A: If the father’s name is not added to the Birth Certificate at the time of birth, the parents must sign an Acknowledgement of Paternity form (VS22) along with a Declaration of Paternity. If you were married at the time of birth you must send a copy of your Marriage Certificate.

Q: When can I pick up a Certificate?

A: Please allow 2-3 weeks to purchase Certificates after the time of event. An application, sworn statement, Identification, and fee are required.

Q: How do I get a Social Security Number for my baby?

A: When filling out the Newborn Automatic Number Assignment (NANA) form in the hospital, if you selected “yes”, the Social Security card will be mailed to you within six weeks. If you selected “no”, you will have to visit the Social Security Office in person with evidence of your child’s identity, birth date, and citizenship.

Q: Why is the mother/father/hospital staff signature on the Birth Certificate?

A: After the Birth Certificate is prepared, the parent signs it. Only one signature is required. If both parents are there, they may both sign it. If the patient is discharged before the certificate is signed, the hospital staff signs it.

Q: My baby has both our last names, how do I change it to just one of our last names?

A: A court order name change must be obtained if you are completely changing the first, middle, and last name; transposing first and middle names; adding or deleting first, middle, or last name.

Q: What is an Apostilles and Signature of Authentication? Where do I go if I need one?

A: An “apostille” is a form of authentication. Regarding Signature of Authentication, the California Secretary of State provides authentication of public official signatures on documents to be used outside the United States of America. The country of destination determines whether the authentication is an Apostille or Certification.

Los Angeles
300 S Spring St., Rm 12513
Los Angeles, CA 90013
(213) 897-3062

1500 11th St.
Sacramento, CA 95814
(916) 657-5448

San Bernardino County Recorder
(Signature of Authentication only)
222 W. Hospitality Lane
San Bernardino, CA 92415-0022
(855) 732-2575